Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Borderlands: The Journey Begins  (Read 3154 times)

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
  • My Avatar is smarter than your Honor Student!
Re: Borderlands: The Journey Begins
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »

Enya's response was immediate and instinctive for a dog-lover: Her face lit up; an "Oooooo!" escaped her mouth; she went down on one knee to make herself small and non-threatening, then extended an arm towards the newcomer, the better to be either carefully sniffed over or pounced upon and kissed to death, pup's preference.  And in at least one respect they spoke the same language; her ears were relaxed playfully, and the gentle sweep of her tail brushed away the snow behind her.

"I Enya," she introduced herself.  "And these...they Enya too in a way, a big way; so I not hurt you, and they not gonna hurt you either.  Even 'f you play rough.  Have said." - the last two words being all it took to seal an oath among her People.
Random the Na'vigator: Promoting Positively Mental Na'vitude since January 2010

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »

Venn looked up first at Rowellan and when she nodded he made a step forwards, towards the stranger. He knew Bjorn from before and would renew that acquaintance later, but for now Enya - and her companions - were much more interesting. So he cautiously stepped forwards. Enya's body language (even if the body itself was unfamiliar) spoke of someone who knew the language of canines - hey, she even had a tail and ears that spoke his language! -, so he stepped up to the stranger, taking a first cautious sniff.

And there were so many unfamiliar scents on this hand. Somehow she smelled like sunshine. And something salty. And a million of other things Venn had never smelled before. But also of familiar things. She had a little bit of Rowellan's scent, a little bit of Bjorn's too, and she smelled of wool and leather and snow as well. Venn sniffed again and decided he liked that scent, his long tail wagging once, then twice, then it turned into a steady, happy wagging and then he licked the hand with all those interesting scents, his ears perked up and there was definitely a wolfish smile on his face.

Rowellan beamed. "He likes you!" she stated. Silently she wondered what Venn would make out of Pepper and Wuffels, but that was a second step.
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »

"Most of 'em do," said Enya to Rowellan...but her eyes were totally on the wolf and learning from him how he liked to be petted.  She stroked his cheek with one hand, rubbed behind his ear with the other, then sank all ten fingers into his thick mane and scratched it all the way down to his skin while her Soul-friends, standing a ways back to make room for the pair, looked on with varying degrees of amusement, tolerance or disdain as their temperaments suited them.

"Pretty wolf...Silver wolf...Wolf with dancing eyes," she murmured as they communed.  "And you See me, I know you do; animals do that, not gotta think about it, where even Seafolk gotta learn from wee-small.

"But maybe you not used to Seeing someone in pieces.  Here, sniff me again..."  She cupped a hand under Venn's snout; then, half-turning, she held the other hand out to Pepper.  She let the Fire-dog snuffle and lick it, the hand not incidentally serving as proxy for the wolf; she smelled like Venn to Pepper, and when she brought that hand back she also smelled like Pepper to Venn.  "...And again," she instructed.  " 'nother sniff.  Me-scent and Pepper-scent pretty close, huh?  Yah, be reason for that...  Pepper smell like that part of me, but all the way.  When he make fire, is my fire he make.

"Other Soul-friends, same-same," she continued.  "This one be Wuffels--ahh, you must like Wuffels; she been dancing around your feet all this time and you not have swallowed her yet!  Is good, 'cause she a handful, and prob'ly a mouthful too!"  She repeated the minor diplomacy of letting each animal take in the scent of the other from her palm rather than directly from each other.  "She small, yes, but mighty, like mountain seen from long way off.  Have had same things said 'bout me...  Is something in me that make Wuffels how she is.  Maybe is part that likes to turn world upside-down over dinner!"  She grinned at Rowellan, remembering well their discussion of the Realm Wars that first night in the Great Hall.

From there she let the rest of her pongu decide for themselves whether they wanted her to convey their essences to the wolf.  The golden fox 'Iheyu, being another canine, was amenable to this, and considered it only polite to tickle Enya's palm with a little static so Venn could take in that part of Enya's nature too.

Kilvanä lowered her head and nickered at the wolf, then blew into Enya's cupped hands obligingly.

Tayu stayed right where he was, ever-watchful of the proceedings, with only the tightness of his feathers indicating how ready he was to fly to the others' defense if the land-bound predator made a false move.

And Auryn danced nervously, an outsider to Soul-friendship and a little ashamed of that, though it was no one's fault, and even though Enya spoke of him as warmly and admiringly as she did of everyone else.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 06:00:51 AM »

At first Venn took some time to take in Enya's scent completely - and enjoy the petting he got.  Oh yes, this stranger definitely knew how to read a wolf right, finding just the right spots...

But then she introduced her companions and Venn felt some confusion rise in him again.  Those animals - the huge canine with the fire inside, the little one who indeed had been dancing between his feet, they all had their own scent...but at the same time they definitely were *Enya* too.  The same instinct that bonded Venn to Rowellan made him feel the bond between Enya and her companions - those companions being part of Enya's essence, but still somehow they were their own.

Pepper, the one with the fire inside, while being part of Enya's essence, also had something that called 'alpha' written into him, something that made Venn alert.  He knew very well that packs that consisted of two-legs had different, usually more complex structures from a wolf pack, and the vibe Venn caught from Pepper just proved that.  The wolf also knew that trying to fight out anything about status in a pack with humans was a bad idea - so his body language showed that he recognized and respected Pepper's status, both as part of Enya and as alpha of this little group of companions.

Wuffels, on the other hand, was something completely different.  After the first, cautious introduction Venn sniffed her over directly, then licked straight across the small dog's face.  Yes, he could sense the power inside, same as the connection to Enya Wuffels shared with Pepper and all the others; but all the same the little one had just too much of a puppy inside to not trigger all the right instincts inside Venn's being.  Whatever Wuffels did, as long as she wouldn't directly attack either Venn himself or Rowellan - and that didn't seem very probable, as the huntress had hunkered down too now, smiling and sending confidence and trust over to Venn, at one point looking up and grinning back at Enya - the little one would have the same free pass every whelp would have in any pack Venn had been running with.

'Iheyu's little static, though, made Venn jump back, sneezing and shaking his fur.  This one definitely was new to him.  "It's alright," Rowellan, who felt his confusion, calmed the wolf quietly.  "It's part of who she is and she wants to show you."  And it was questionable if she was talking about Enya or 'Iheyu right then.  Those two *were* interwoven, after all...

Kilvanä wasn't much of a problem - Venn knew horses, knew to not come underfoot, and when he took up her scent he had grasped enough of the duality of companion and Enya to accept her as another facet of the whole, greeting her with a graceful wag of his long tail.  Tayu on the other hand - Venn felt the bird's alertness more than he could read it (he hadn't much experience with birds besides hunting them), but the vibes coming from that one too made clear that Tayu too belonged to Enya's little pack, so he greeted the bird too - with a wolfish grin that said that arrow-shooting owls wouldn't be on Venn's menu for now.

And then there was Auryn.  Auryn smelled of Enya, true enough; he was a member of the pack as much as everyone else here.  But there wasn't a part of Enya's *essence* in the gryphon, not the way the others seemed to be like parts of her.  The bond of Auryn just seemed to be more like the one Venn and Rowellan shared - close, founded on friendship and trust, but neither one part of the other.  Plus - it was clear that he almost seemed to be a bit of an outsider, maybe a little bit like Venn himself.  Running and hunting with a pack, but not connected by blood, just by free choice and loyalty.

Venn, after making his way from one of Enya's Soul-friends to the other, finally looked up to the Gryphon with a tilted head, favouring the creature with a woof and a wag, then he ran back to Rowellan who now was petting him too, scratching behind his ear.  "I'm proud of you," she whispered in the wolf's ear.  "You're figuring out things that took us a lot of words to explain."

She looked up to Enya.  "Do you know that he feels some kind of kinship with Auryn?" she said.  "He thinks they share a similar position in their packs."
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »

Enya shot Auryn a gentle smile.  "See?  You not so alone.  Wolf-friend, he a lot like you...and he likes you!"  At which the Griffin's ears came up a little further and he made a shy but pleased-sounding murmur in his throat.

Her other companions were already ambling off to take in more of the lake country.  She turned back to Venn, her expression both earnest and urgent.  She wasn't sure she had the right to ask of him what she was about to, but Rowellan had already made so many other promises for him that surely he wouldn't mind one that involved just playing or hunting or watching the Moon rise in the company of a new friend...  "So...maybe you teach him how to be free?" she suggested in a whisper that was almost a plea.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 05:44:06 AM »

Venn heard the plea in Enya's voice and again licked her hand.  He wasn't quite sure what exactly the girl wanted, so he did what he always did when he needed some help with human (or other two-legger) behaviour: He looked up to Rowellan for some help.

The huntress, knowing Auryn's story, had to swallow a lump in her throat, then lovingly looked at her companion, rubbing his ears.  "It's not that hard, I think," she said; and over the bond they shared she sent out feelings and pictures, adding a wordless question.  She didn't dive into Auryn's past, just that the Gryphon still was new to this way of living - and that he might like someone who showed him the beauty of running like the wind over a snow-covered meadow.  Or hunting in early dawn, free like the moonshine and the wind...or howling at the clear sky, up to the stars, just for the joy of it; things that were in Venn's bones and veins from the day he was born, that might be there for Auryn too, if he just had a chance to find out about it - and someone to show him.

Venn looked up to Rowellan, then to Enya, back to Auryn, and then understanding shone up in his eyes as well as over the bond.  He had grown up with humans, and although that had been a happy time he still had needed a while to find out about being a wolf.  Auryn clearly wasn't a wolf, he was like no creature Venn had ever seen before.  But the Gryphon looked and smelled like someone who'd make a great playmate and hunting companion.  So the wolf again made a woof and wagged his tail, his tongue hanging out in a wolfish grin.

Rowellan chuckled.  "That's a 'yes'," she explained.  "I say that once we found our place for the night our companions might be out for a long, long run in the night."
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2018, 02:00:48 AM »

Enya beamed.  "Says you!" she sassed.  "I not think anybody gonna stay up late tonight - we been in big fight, 'member?  So maybe Auryn wanna rest first, since he gotta work harder than ev'rybody else to fight just as good.  --And he did!" she proclaimed, loud enough for the Griffin to hear. "Wuffels and Bjorn in front, Auryn behind, that snow-thing tumble down into ice cubes--YAH!!"  She tossed up her arms in an exultant victory gesture, then lowered her voice again.  "So maybe he like to curl up outside his ball for the night, feel wind flowing over him, ground warming under him 'fore he go 'sploring under new Sun?  Is what someone needs to become part of a place."

She looked around.  "Say, what be Bjorn up to over there?  Whatever it be, Pepper likes it!"--this as the huge fire-dog head-butted the storyteller from behind.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »

"Hey... what the...?"  Actually the skald had been sharing his attention between the wolf and the blue girl, her Soul-friends, and the surroundings, while patiently waiting for his turn to renew his acquaintance with Venn himself.  Now he stumbled a few steps forward - right in front of the wolf, who took the chance to just jump at the man and lick across his face, and if a wolf could look mischievous Venn did right then and there.

"Hello Venn," Bjorn sighed, scratching the animal's neck, remembering very well the spot the wolf liked so much, and let himself get thoroughly sniffed over, in case his scent had changed in the past years.  "Love ya too!"  He turned his head back to Pepper and grinned at the fire-dog.  "Yes, you too.  At least your headbutts give me a warm butt... and that's something that doesn't hurt around here."

He scratched his neck.  "Talking about 'around here' - no matter who's gonna spend the night in- or outside, I suggest we move on for a bit.  We're still close to the lake, we made quite the ruckus out there, and somehow I'm not quite in the mood to explain to a group of grumpy Relic Keep guards our little group here.  Not before a good night's sleep, because Enya here's right - we all had a long day and feel it in our bones."  He pointed to where the late afternoon dusk settled over the lake in the distance. "Grallahorn is on the other side; and whatever it takes to become one of the guards there, 'an open mind' and 'sense of humour' ain't on top of that list."

Rowellan, who had been giggling about Pepper's and Venn's antics, made a face.  "Yes - you're right."  She turned to Enya.  "That keep and its guards are a little bit different from the ones you know so far.  It's one of the Relic Keeps and they're heavily guarded.  All the other keeps are used to travellers of all kinds.  Someone like you, who's from far away but obviously not from Albion or Hibernia, makes people curious there, but you being with us is enough to give you safe passage."  She blinked into the dusk too.  "Grallahorn - well, that keep's as out of the way as it can get, and that's for a reason.  People don't stumble in there per chance.  I usually keep my patrol route to the North side of the lake - that's as far as they usually go, and they know I've got a right to be there; when we meet we exchange a few polite greetings and keep out of each other's hair.  We are still at the North side of the lake and on one of the more common travel routes, so that's alright.  But - let's be honest - you and your Soul Friends are unusual, and if we run into those guards - they don't like 'unusual'.  They won't be as kind or open as Sven or Harverg."  She looked over to Bjorn.  "Something tells me we'll have to talk very, very fast should we run into them tomorrow."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:05:35 PM by Random the Navigator »
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »

"Relic Keep...?" Enya asked; then "...Like where you hide your Sacred Stuff?  Oooo, do wanna see!!"  She bounced on her toes a little, then grew serious again.  "But...yah, do understand I be stranger here, and Soul-friends maybe just strange to anyone who not be used to them.  And they not gonna let weird cat-girl beast-wizard anywhere near Sacred Stuff, and good thing too, 'cause Rowy, you 'member how we talk at dinner table? --Uh, huh, they gonna see *that* idea right through my head!  So maybe is a good thing we not go there.  Unless Sacred Stuff be missing, then we can try to find it...  Is kind of quest just meant for little-kid with Soul-friends."  She smiled; no one could say she didn't have confidence in her abilities or pride in her work.

Then she cocked her head.  "But really, they not even let other Norsefolk in there?  Do think maybe your gods might stay strong better if someone visit them sometimes, and maybe bring new people to meet...  Maybe guards run us off; is fair, is their job; but you tell 'em I be little-kid, you think they gonna put me all fulla holes?  Maybe they give me meeeannn look, and I squeak and run to you and cry on your shoulder - 'Help!  O, help!  Scary guys gonna hurt me!!'  You think they lay off us then?  Listen--NObody stay mad at Enya when she cry!"

Then she grinned.  "Sooo, maybe we talk slow and walk into them?  Or 'least not run when they find us!"

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

"Yeah, Relic Keep as in 'where we keep our Sacred Stuff'," Rowellan confirmed. "And yeah, they don't let many people near."  She started counting on her fingers.  "The guards, of course; the priests; then of course the wagons that bring in new food and stuff, and they're tested thoroughly - that's as far as it goes.  Sure no cat-girl beast-wizard, even if she's still just a kid.  If you ask me, they're a bit paranoid over there.  Other Norsefolk only get to see the place when someone steals our 'Sacred Stuff'.  Then it is when people go there to pray or bring flowers."  She swallowed.  "And I'd say we better keep our dinner table conversation to ourselves around those guys."

"We sure won't run away," Bjorn stated.  "Cause that's the best way go get shot 'fulla holes' by them.  If we'll have the bad luck to somehow cross their way we better stand, wait and explain.  Well, that thing about you being a kid will probably help."  He shook his head.  "You know, I sometimes think our Gods rarely visit the Relic Keeps either - we've got many more temples and altars where we can pray to them."  Then one of his brows shot up, noticing that Rowellan had grown a bit pale beneath her freckles and tan.  "Ummmm... what exactly is that dinner table conversation you girls are talking about?"

Rowellan swallowed again.  "Well..."  She scratched her head, trying to find the right beginning for her explanation.  "Well," she started for a second time, "it all started with me explaining to Enya a few things about our Gods and their Blessings.  Sacred Stuff - the Relics.  And about how our Realms are fighting about them all the time."

"And?"  It would have taken a denser man than Bjorn not to figure out there was more to that.

"And..." Rowellan turned a bit helplessly to look at Enya.  "She is a kid, after all, so she came up with one of those simple, clever solutions that would work out perfectly fine if grown-ups wouldn't be so stubborn and set in our ways: A good blessing is enough, for every realm, so if everybody had their own Relics back there wouldn't be much reason for fighting anymore besides bad habit - 'cause we'd all have the blessing of our Gods and could live our lives in peace."  She swallowed for a third time.  "And Enya... well, she volunteered.  As someone not involved in our strife, she could just go out and bring everything back to where it belongs - 'cause as she doesn't belong to any of our Realms, nobody would see her as an enemy."  She took a breath.  "It's been going around in the back of my mind for a while now," she admitted, "once I got my breath back."

Bjorn's eyes had widened with every word Rowellan had spoken, and now they almost popped out of his head.  "Oh All Ye Gods!" he coughed, staring with something between chagrin and awe at the blue Seafolk girl, then sat down on the ground when it all sunk in, completely ignoring the fact he'd have to get up again with all his armour.  "Bragi - Enya, nope, you definitely not tell that around any guards."  He laughed helplessly.  "Yeah - it's a simple idea and actually not a bad one... because all that fighting causes more hurt than the additional blessing might be worth.  But, phew..."  And for a moment the Skald was speechless.
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »

Enya had been standing by the whole time, bouncing in anticipation of Bjorn's reaction and beaming cheek-to-cheek.  The bard's 'eyes expand, jaw drop', accompanied as they were by his sputtering, was all she could have wished for in the realm of blowing people's minds, and she totally cracked up.  "Ahh, Bjorn, you not much of a Skald; is second time already that I make you speechless!!" she crowed.

Then, stealth having become a consideration, she recalled everyone into their orbs except Auryn, because she'd promised him the day out, and as far as she was concerned that meant the night, too.  "Think we made 'nuff noise for the next two days--maybe we better find that cave now."  She punctuated the sentiment with a pair of flopped-over ears, a dragging tail, and a huge yawn that exposed her fangs.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »

"That's something you can be proud of," Rowellan grinned.  "Not many people in this world can say that about themselves."  She reached out to help Bjorn up, enthusiastically being supported by Venn who had licked Bjorn's face again - maybe it was the presence of Wuffels or that he was already practising to show Auryn how that "playing" thing was done - until the Skald stood again on his own two, if a bit shaky, feet.

"Hey, it's a good thing for a Skald to get speechless now or then," Bjorn protested.  "Occupational hazard: It shakes my brain upside down and you never know what shiny new idea falls out in the end."  He slowly started to collect his wits again - kind of.  "Although I think that for today my brain was shaken well enough.  So - you're right, Enya.  Time to find that cave."

"The cave it is, then."  Rowellan adjusted her backpack and, with Venn close at her side, she led them maybe one or two kilometers further into the forest.  By now there were more rock outcrops and piles than there had been close to the lake, with the occasional creeks leading to the lake.  Most of those creeks were still frozen at the banks.  But one was not just free-flowing, there was actually a bit of steam coming from the surface.  And right where that creek came out of the ground was another one of those rock piles.  Rowellan now put a hand on a certain spot, muttering a word; waited a moment; and then started to push at the stone.  And - almost like in the story Bjorn had told - the stone slowly rotated, opening up to a dark crack in the pile.

"Come on, let's go inside," Rowellan said.  "That will be our home for tonight."

The crack led into a small corridor, made out of stones leaning together like a roof, only letting in a bit of the slowly dying daylight - and the torch Rowellan took from a little stack lying there, which Bjorn lit with his firestone.  The path was leading down a bit until it finally widened into an open cave.  And it was warm inside - a lot warmer than it should have been in a dark cave in Springtime in the Midgard borderland.

Rowellan lit a few more torches that were waiting in halters at the walls, and now the little group of travellers could see the place more clearly.  There was a firepit in the middle, a pile of dried wood at one wall...and on the other wall was a rock pool, shallow and clear - and obviously the source of the warmth in the place.

The huntress beamed.  "We'll have to sleep on the ground tonight," she said, "but we'll be warm the whole while."  The smile widened even more.  "Aaaaand - we might even have a bath!"
Still lost in the woods
Pages: 1 2 [3]