Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: DtP 40 - One Small Life  (Read 5421 times)

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
  • My Avatar is smarter than your Honor Student!
Re: DtP 40 - One Small Life
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »

'Iheyu made no reply except a soft and grateful smile.  Then she lifted the egg out of the terrarium and gave it to Rick to hold.  It was mountain-colored and about the size of an ostrich egg; big for an Earth-bird, but more like a shed tear for an animal who might one day carry a Na'vi on its back.

"You've earned the right to cradle him as much as anyone," she said quietly.
Random the Na'vigator: Promoting Positively Mental Na'vitude since January 2010

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »

Rick took the egg with awe and held it like something precious; actually he felt as if it was one of the most precious things he'd ever held.  Suddenly he felt almost clumsy - that was a little life he held in his hands now.  Still tiny; but he remembered the impressive shape of Ni'tingal, and the difference even deepened his awe.  He slightly caressed the cracked shell, peeking into the tiny hole the Ikran chick had already produced.

"I think you're a strong one," he told the not-yet-hatched baby Ikran.  "You survived so many bad odds until now.  The cold, your mommy not having enough food, your siblings not being born...  But you're a fighter, in there.  And I know you'll make this last step too, once you're ready."

He turned to 'Iheyu.  "Ya know, it's as if I can feel his heart already beating in that egg."
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »

"As he already feels your love and the love of those around him," 'Iheyu responded warmly.  "He should have as much company in here as we can provide him."

"Not gonna be a problem!" Enya announced.  "Small people gonna take turns: Me, Brenda, Tali--and Rick!"

'Iheyu quirked a brow.  "And do Brenda and Rick know this?"

"'Bout like Brenda know yesterday she was gonna hide shacks; she find out when I tell her!" Enya grinned.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »

"Yeah, and if Enya's gonna tell her, she'll just smile and agree."  Rick grinned too, knowing that the Avatar had the driver wrapped around her little blue finger.  "Rick, on the other hand - he knows already, and he's ready for egg watch."

'Iheyu smiled.  "The little one is part of a community--part of the Clan--and the sooner he knows this, the better.  In the shell isn't too early to learn it in his heart..."

"Well, if it depends on sending him good feelings, that's something we all can do."  Rick very carefully handed the egg back to 'Iheyu.  "You want to hold him a bit longer or put him back in his box?"
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »

"I think he's warmed enough that we can take turns, if they're not too long," 'Iheyu advised.  She carefully handed the egg to Tali first.  Enya didn't get jealous, didn't fuss; she might have been the one who rescued the egg, but she didn't feel more entitled to it than her brother.  Tali was, after all, both older than her and a true Na'vi.  But in this matter both children were infants, as was their mother.  Ikran always nested far away in the mountains, not at Hometree.  No one in memory had actually witnessed a hatching.

Tali suddenly smiled.  "He's moving a little," he said; and as the others pricked their ears, they could indeed make out the faint scratches the chick made as he repositioned himself within the shell.  "I think he's turning in his sleep..."

All three just gazed, their expressions those of a five-year-old lying belly-down on the grass watching in fascination as some little insect crept up a blade and flew away.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2018, 01:35:49 PM »

There were actually four pairs of eyes staring in complete fascination at the egg.  Rick couldn't prick his ears and he wasn't sure if he could really hear something, but the picture of a tiny Ikran moving in his shell had something heartwarming to it.
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »

Tali handed the egg back to his Sa'nok to be put back in the terrarium for a while before Enya got her turn.  In this, too, his sister was patient; and when 'Iheyu nodded after a time, she lifted the egg out herself and cradled it much more tenderly than she had ever held a fossil, a story-stone, or even Solanda's pass.  But there was a strength in her aura too as she communed with the little spirit inside, lending it the steadiness, the peace, and the sense of her place in the world that Mother-god had given her the night of the Blessing.

'Iheyu Saw this and smiled.  Apparently the not-so-lost Avatar now had enough of these things to spare.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »

Of course Rick couldn't See the way 'Iheyu did; all he could see was that Enya cradled the egg tenderly and seemed to talk to it silently - maybe trying to give the little guy in there strength and encouragement as well as he had tried to do.
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »

Enya, being Enya, didn't remain silent for long.  But there was nothing intrusive about the hushed tones in which she encouraged Ni'tingal's child: "You wanna be born, yes...yes, you do.  Is a good world out here.  Cold outside, yes; not so bad right now.  Real nice under Ni'tingal--have tried it.  And in here?  Is warm and blue!  Warm and blue, baby-Ikran.  You wanna be in warm and blue, yes? --Is what I like best; warm and blue and floaty."  Then she winked into the little hole and grinned.  "But floaty is different for you than for me.  I was floaty before being born.  You gotta wait 'til you big and strong!  Is good reason to learn how to fly, yes?  You come on out when you gonna; everybody here be real good with wee-small people--Enya and Sprout and Tall Brenda when they wee-small inside sometimes; you and Tali and Rick and Ash wee-small outside; Kenten smaller than me.  You gonna like it here.  Is a good world."

She gave the egg another cuddle and a few strokes, then returned it to its "nest" and arranged the warm stones and insulating moss to her liking.

Kiyevanie

• Global Moderator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2018, 02:17:15 PM »

"Maybe we should leave the little guy alone now for a while?"  Rick suggested.  "We've showed him that we're waiting for him, and maybe now he just needs some time to sleep and rest.  I guess it's hard work to pick his way out of an egg shell."
Still lost in the woods

Random the Navigator

• Lorekeeper
  • Administrator
  • Tsahik
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2018, 02:24:59 PM »

Tali nodded.  "I'm sure it is!  Especially since he fills the whole thing," he said.  "Kinda hard to get any leverage when you can't even straighten your neck..."

"And yet hundreds of Ikran chicks do it on our mountain every year," 'Iheyu responded.  "It's amazing what someone can do before they're old enough to know any better."  The subtle jest was lost on Enya, but Tali beamed.

'Iheyu turned to Rick.  "All right, then...  I think we've got a bit of work waiting for us outside?  The sooner we see to those buildings the sooner we can make that watch-tower tomorrow," she said.

Tali arched his eyebrows at her.  "Maybe you better check with Tangek to see if you're allowed to lift anything today?" he suggested teasingly.

"Good idea; I think I'll do that," 'Iheyu replied with a gentle smile.

A little fussing in the corridor later, the family emerged into the courtyard, Enya rubbing her arms as she adjusted to the temperature outside again.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]